Welcome to the first stop aboard Magical Blogorail Orange. Enjoy the ride as we share our favorite Disney Apps.
At the D23 Expo in 2013 I was introduced to the newest Disney App called Disney Animation.
This awesome app was named the iPad App of the year 2013. The first thing you need to know about this app is that it is not free, it costs $9.99. If you are a Disney Nerd like me or an interested in Animation then this is a must have for your app collection.
The elements in the app come to life with just the tap of your finger as either move clips or videos play within the app; videos of Walt are also included. This app also is updated frequently so you will even see information about Disney’s newest movies such as Big Hero 6 set to be released November 2014.
Disney Animation Video Overview
The sections of the app are:
- Art in Motion
- Visual Development
- Layout and Background
- Visual Effects
- Sound Design & Music
- Putting It All Together
- Frozen – yes there is an entire section dedicated to Frozen.
As if all of that wasn’t enough there are tools you can tinker with including:
- Bouncing Ball – You can make a ball bounce by changing the position of the bounce ball, the animation speed as well as squish or stretch of the ball.
- Mood Shifter – Change Maximus’ facial expressions by sliding your finger in the control area. This is one tool to make your kiddos laugh.
- Workshop – Learn what it is like to be an animator in the workshop. You can create and share your own animation sequences of your interactive model Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph
- Timeline – As a Disney Nerd this is one of my favorite sections. The app reviews all of the animated movies produced by the Walt Disney Studios. Once you zoom in on each movie poster music from the movie will start to play. Then you can read about the movie premise, learn a little bit of trivia about the movie, the film’s duration, number of frames, and see the color map. You can even buy music from the movie. Any elements shared within the app containing this movie will also be included here.
- Elsa’s Snow – In this section you can use your finger to create a visual effect of Frozen snow.
- Color Maps – The Color Maps are amazing, simple and amazing. They contain every single frame from each movie on one line. You can drag your finger across the line and each image will appear.
- Bonus Content – Disney Animated contains an unabridged version of the Principles of Animation chapter from the iconic work The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston. Unlike in the print edition, all the illustrations move when touched. This is an amazing section of this book and to have access to these vintage pieces of animation at your fingertips is amazing.
Disney has numerous Apps perfect for your family. You can see a full listing of them at the Disney Mobile App Site.
Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Disney with Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers.
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:
1st Stop ~ I Am a Mommy Nerd – Disney Animation App <—- You are here!
2nd Stop ~ Disney with Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers – Disney’s Frozen App
3rd Stop ~ Disney Mamas – Touring Plans Lines App for WDW & DL
4th Stop ~ Capturing Magical Memories – Live365
Final Stop ~ Frugal Mouse- My Disney Experience