The most anticipated Disney Channel movie event Descendants aired on July 31st. We have seen months and months of promos for Descendants on the Disney Channel and my daughters and I were so excited when the calendar finally turned to July!
The good news is that Descendants did not disappoint and it lived up to the hype. Not only was the story fun but the fashion, music and dance numbers were great. It’s one of those triple-treat movies that we have watched several times since it aired.
I am a GIANT fan of Kristin Chenoweth and my daughters love Dove Cameron so we were very excited to watch the movie together. My nine-year old read the prequel book “Isle of the Lost” and was even more excited for the movie.
The fashion in Descendants is spot on and I seriously wish I could buy Evie’s dress show in the picture below! As soon as the movie ended both of my girls decided they each wanted to be a character from the movie for Halloween. Thank goodness the Disney Store has the costumes available already!
The music and the dancing are a lot of fun, we downloaded the soundtrack within just a few minutes of the first song “Rotten to the Core,” which has pretty much taken up space in my brain and was on repeat all weekend.
From the Emmy Award-winning director and choreographer Kenny Ortega (“High School Musical” franchise) comes this original contemporary story of classic Disney characters reinvented for today’s audience. Descendants will take you on a new adventure of relatable tween characters on a journey of self-discovery.
In a present day kingdom, the teenaged son of the King and Queen (Beast and Belle from Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast”) is poised to take the throne. His first proclamation is to offer a chance at redemption to the offspring of Cruella de Vil, Maleficent the Evil Queen and Jafar. These teenagers and their parents have been sent to live on a forbidden island with all the other villains and sidekicks.
These villainous descendants (Carlos, Mal, Evie and Jay, respectively) are allowed into the kingdom to attend prep school alongside the offspring of the Disney heroes we know and love, including Fairy Godmother, Sleeping Beauty, and Mulan.
However, the evil teens face a dilemma.
Should they follow in their nefarious parents’ footsteps and help all the villains regain power or embrace their innate goodness and save the kingdom? I won’t post any spoilers here but you can be sure this will be a fun film for the whole family.
The songs that Kristin Chenoweth sing sound as if they were written specifically for her…which means they are amazing! The other actors in the cast are just as amazing and balance each other out.
The cast includes:
- Kristin Chenoweth (“Wicked,” TV’s “Glee”) as Maleficent
- Dove Cameron (TV’s “Liv & Maddie”) as Mal the daughter of Maleficent
- Kathy Nijimy (“WALL-E,” “Sister Act”) as the Evil Queen
- Sofia Carson (TV’s “Austin & Ally”)asEvie the daughter of the Evil Queen
- Cameron Boyce (TV’s “Jessie”) as Carlos the son of Cruella de Vil
- Wendy Raquel Robinson (“The Game,” “Miss Congeniality”) as Cruella de Vil
- Maz Jobrani (“The Interpreter,” “13 Going on 30”) as Jafar
- Booboo Stewart (“X-Men Days of Future Past,” “Twilight”) as Jay the son of Jafar
If you missed the premier on the Disney Channel you can pick up the DVD in the stores or online.
Bonus features include:
- Backstage Dance Rehearsals – Join the cast for their rigorous dance rehearsals conducted by director Kenny Ortega.
- Bloopers – Kristin Chenoweth and the cast crack-up on set.
- #Mal – #fakeaccounts #bestofMal #funnymoments #VideoAndGraphics2TellMoreOfHerStory
RELATED: Grab Descendants Activity Sheets here!
I hope you and your family enjoys Descendants as much as my family did.